windshied visor - 2003 Astro

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Cyclone
I am merely driving my van

windshied visor - 2003 Astro

Post by Cyclone »

I'm new to the site and it's great! I just sold a 1998 Astro van (to my son for $1) that had 221,000 miles and was still going strong, but I wanted to upgrade to a newer model. I had a Lund windshied visor on my '98 and I like the look, so I tried to buy one for my 2003. To my surprise, Lund doesn't make visors for Astros for the 2001 and newer models.

I guess there was some kind of windshield change in 2001? It seems that the older version visor would fit, but I don't want to take a chance and get stuck with a visor that I can't return. The local shops (St Louis area) do not seem to be much help. If they had a visor in stock I would try it before painting or drilling any holes, but they don't have any stock and I would have to special order it.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks - Rick

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

the mounting for the visors are back from the windshield enough that i really dont think there would be a major problem in mounting it to your newer astro . it might be a PIA but why not take the one off your sons new van to see if it will work then bolt it back up .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Might be worth it to call up a windshield glass company and ask them if the windshields are the same part number for the 2 years. I have a 98 and did have an 03 and I did not notice any difference in the body's and glass at all.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Cyclone

Windsheild visor - 2003 Astro

Post by Cyclone »

Unfortunately I live in St Louis and my son took the van to Pittsburgh, so I can't take it off and try it. I could buy a visor for the older model and try to make it fit, but it's risky. The fact that Lund says they don't have visors that fit Astro models from 2001 and up makes me nervous. Surely there is someone out there with a 2001 or new model Astro that has figured out how to install a visor...

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Re: windshied visor - 2003 Astro

Post by GnarliSafari »

i think some of those after market companies catelogs are just outdated, i dont see any differences between my 99 and any 01 or newer i have ever seen, gm was trying to keep the cost of these things down in the last couple years so i doubt they redesigned anything. they did start offering the rear discs and 16s in 03 but i think that was so they could use wheels they already had made for the 1500 series trucks instead of making more astro van specific wheels. they even eliminated the little pieces of trim on the back doors above the rear bumper for whatever strange reason just to save a couple cents.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

canadavan
I get chills without my van.

Re: windshied visor - 2003 Astro

Post by canadavan »

If it fit an older van, I would guarantee that it will fit. GM did not alter anything about the vans windshields or roofs. I'm sure that Gnarli is right about their parts lists being out of date.
"Damn, youse funny lookin'..."

Todd
Former owner of the Rocket van - v8 powered 1990 Astro
Tall man, no van