Removing armrest from seat

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Removing armrest from seat

Post by Rileysowner »

I know this has been asked and answered on the old board. I did the search and what came up was to put the armrest upright, push hard on the pivot point and to the back and it will go a little further back and come off. Well, I tried that on my '97 and other than feeling like I have tried to push the van over all by myself, they did not come off. #-o

So, are the armrests different in the new model vans, and how do I get them off? :-k
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Jim i've heard they are diffent than the older ones . but i've never dealt with the newer seats , but i'm sure somebody has . peter has a 97 & i know lockdoc put a set 0f 97 seats in his van. maybe they can help you.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I hope so. I have some seat covers that I want to put on, but no way to do so :)
Jim

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Jim, you have the right idea, but there maybe a small plastic tube per say stopping you. The arm rides in a slot, then it has a keyhole design where it comes off. My 95 had two plastic pieces of tube in the larger keyhole to prevent it from going back far enough to pop off. Hopefully you got small fingers to reach up under the rear part and try to pull those things out. Then you can lift arm all the way up, push pretty hard inwards, then push back a little farther and they will come off. I fought with mine for days off/on unitl I found those plastic pieces in there.

astrosafari
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by astrosafari »

-OR-
get out the sawzall and start choppin :D
91 blazer|00 extreme|99 winter beater

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I dunno about your panels but on mine, the armrest and panel are one and the same. Actually, this is the case with any of the higher end option groups, because all my service trucks have removable armrests.
Myself, I'm still waiting for details on a possible fix from a certain member who'll remain anonymous for now. I refuse to mention that his name is James and his user name here is v8famvan. Why? Because I don't want him to feel uncomfortable about having made me wait all this time.
Yeah, I know. I'm some kinda guy... :whistle:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

peter you dope , hes talking about the arm rests on the seats not the doors .

in my best mencia voice ; dee da dee #-o #-o
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Yup, it is the armrests on the seat, not the one on the door. I will have to see if the plastic pieces are there.
Jim

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Yeah, well I knew that. Really, I did. I was just...ahhh, I was just makin' small talk is all 8-[
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

peter wrote:Yeah, well I knew that. Really, I did. I was just...ahhh, I was just makin' small talk is all 8-[
No, you just were not paying attention thats all, I think your
fixation with the CN TOWER is whats distracting you, LOL

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

BLAZER wrote:Jim, you have the right idea, but there maybe a small plastic tube per say stopping you. The arm rides in a slot, then it has a keyhole design where it comes off. My 95 had two plastic pieces of tube in the larger keyhole to prevent it from going back far enough to pop off. Hopefully you got small fingers to reach up under the rear part and try to pull those things out. Then you can lift arm all the way up, push pretty hard inwards, then push back a little farther and they will come off. I fought with mine for days off/on unitl I found those plastic pieces in there.
So, if I understand you correctly, in the channel that a post is in that the arm rest goes up and down along, there is a plastic plug down in the bottom of the channel that results in me not being able to push it in? I tried to see it, but I couldn't. I can lift the are all the way up as far as I can see. I will get back to it after I get the brakes done on my wife's car.
#-o
Jim

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Yeah, well I have a funny feeling that after yiou've "fixed" the wife's brakes, you'll be able to afford having someone else wrench on your truck...
I have my eye on you, Riley [-X
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

The arm rest actually floats on two different bolts per say, it pivots on the one and the other rides in a slot that keeps the arm in alignment. This slot has the keyhole in it ( located toward the back of the arm). All I can say is you have to reach your hand up there and feel for it. The little plastic retainer/hose thingy sits in that larger keyhole and prevents the arm from going backwards enough to come off. Like I said, I fought for mine for days until I found that litle piece of plastic in there. Once I got it out, I was able to lift arm all the way up, push really hard inward, then pivot arm more so it would come off. Wished I had taken pics for ya.

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I will have a look. Hopefully my fingers are small enough.
Jim

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

peter wrote:Yeah, well I have a funny feeling that after yiou've "fixed" the wife's brakes, you'll be able to afford having someone else wrench on your truck...
I have my eye on you, Riley [-X

I'm rooting for you. I hope you don't give up like I was inclined to many times during my trans swap, and pay someone else to wrench on your truck.

And Peter that funny feeling you have probably has something to do with " that gang of gay vampire boys that spanked you with wet poodles!!" :whistle:
Last edited by trybe13 on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13