removing wiper arms

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Mr Singh
I finally get the smurf thing

removing wiper arms

Post by Mr Singh »

Why am i finding it so difficult to remove these suckers!? I don't have the GM tool so i'm at a loss to how they come off...

I read up on autozone but i'm still not clear on it..

Anyone care to shine some light on the matter #-o
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: removing wiper arms

Post by ihatemybike »

Lift up on the arm till it hits the stop.

There is a little tab on the side of the arm, slide this away from the arm. If you can't do this with your finger, use a screwdriver between the arm and tab. Should not be terrible difficult to move.

Once the tab of moved to the release position, the arm will remain away from the windshield when released.

Wiggle the arm while pulling up. If it does not release, a couple wacks with a rubber mallet will usually break it free.

I'm never used a special pulling tool to remove them.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
Mr Singh
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mr Singh »

Thanks! i'll give it a go :D
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

thats how i took mine off, i then repositioned them so the are as close to the wiper cowl as possible, to the average eye you would never see the difference, but too anal safari owners such as myself i had to do it.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Any Luck yet? > I never normaly run windshield wiper arms here in SoCal (because they look Fugly) and keep them stored in my trunk for whenever it rains?........ << I guess that I`m a lucky bastard living overhere in LA.....?
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

SoCalli V8 wrote:Any Luck yet? > I never normaly run windshield wiper arms here in SoCal (because they look Fugly) and keep them stored in my trunk for whenever it rains?........ << I guess that I`m a lucky bastard living overhere in LA.....?
up here in oregon we have far too much rain to take them off, i use rain ex so i seldom need em at highway speeds but 25mph or so doesnt quite do the trick so i need them for city driving.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

Save your money on the RainX. Use Turtle Wax or any other good car polish. It does the same thing.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I use the RainX wiper fluid. No rubbing.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86