Maiden Voyage

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Maiden Voyage

Post by mdmead »

We wasted no time getting our 'new' motorhome out on a first camping trip.

Spring Break for my daughter and wife was this past week so we decided a two night trip was in order. We decided to stick close to home, so we limited our travel time to about two hours. After a quick check online of State Parks in WA and OR, we decided to visit the Deschutes State Recreation Area that is located where the Deschutes River runs into the Columbia River. (This is on the OR side of the river.)

We left on Monday afternoon and arrived around 5pm to find a mostly empty campground. (The whole time we were there we only saw about six other campers.) While we could have reserved a space online, I didn't see the need this early in the season and on a weekday. We picked a nice spot backing up towards the river and had an empty space on each side of us.

The weather wasn't the greatest... and we didn't care since we had a nice place to stay inside. The wind blew off and on... mostly on... during our stay and we received a bit of rain. But when the weather was managable, Ryan and I did a little exploring. One of the draws to this Recreation Area is a 15+ mile trail that is a converted rail bed that runs up the east side of the Deschutes River. The trail is shared by bicyclists, equestrians and hikers. It is really a great bike trail! Here is Ryan at mile marker 1 on the trail on Tuesday.

Ryan is taking a pic near the above mentioned mile marker.

And here is what her picture is of. The nearby river is the Deschutes. Beyond the bridges is the Columbia.

On Wednesday, I told Ryan we needed to at least ride two miles up the trail. If you have dealt with an 8 yr old, you know what a challenge it can be if she thinks it is too far to go.... But once out riding, she realized it wasn't that far and here she is at mile marker 2.

On the way to mile marker 2, we crossed a cement area where water (less than an inch) was running across the trail. We both rode across easily enough. On the way back, Ryan wanted to get a picture of me riding through the water. As I was slowly going across, my front tire washed out on the slimy bottom and I went down. I survived OK, but i did get a bit muddy! My camara also hit the ground... in the water... but I scooped it up and cleaned it off and it seems to have survived! (No, Ryan didn't get a pic of me going down!)

On the way back, I snapped this pic looking upstream on the Deschutes.

I had noticed there was a rail line across the river as we were riding along and I wondered how active it was. (There is a very active rail line running up and down the Columbia near the campground. We heard trains going by every couple of hours, sometimes even more frequently.) It wasn't long and we saw this train coming up the river.

All in all, it was a good first trip. We accomplished our goal of checking out our new RV. We found some areas we can improve... and discoverd the non-working microwave. We determined we have plenty of black water capacity, but our gray water is severely lacking! Even though we ran the heat most of the trip, we found it didn't deplete our propane too quickly. We are really looking forwad to summer and hitting some more scenic places in WA and OR! (And me, I want to get back to this bike trail and follow it all the way up! I understand there are also campsites along this route.)

P.S. Anyone know where I can find the drain for the fresh water tank?! (Seriously, I've yet to find it! #-o )
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Maiden Voyage

Post by astrozam »

Thanks for sharing the story and pics Matt, being the old geezer you are I sure hope that leg heals up,LOL

geezer
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by geezer »

astrozam wrote:Thanks for sharing the story and pics Matt, being the old geezer you are I sure hope that leg heals up,LOL

Geezer? Is someone calling my name ? Try looking underneath the fresh water tank. Some only have a plug, (I replaced mine with a hose bib). :usa:
2003 awd cargo g80 3.42 gear
1998 awd 230,000 R.I.P.
1992 awd 240,000 R.I.P.
"What? Me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Matt,

I post your fresh water plug question on a couple of RV sites I am apart of and if they answer I will let you know what they say.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Thanks, Matt. Great pics. Great time with the family. The last time I was out there in your country we, son Dan, his wife Karen, their daughter Courtney, my daughter Wendy, her daughter Kayley, and Cherie and I did the hike out to the New Dungeness Lighthouse. It's at the end of the Dungeness Spit. 11 miles round trip. Takes all day. So many places to explore out there. You're really going to enjoy that motorhome. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

i knew i recognized that scenery, i live in the Mt. Hood area, welches to be exact, i frequent some of those areas in the summer, very pretty, i am going to the gorge on 5/16 to see the dead the doobies and the allman bros. should be fun!
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Looks like you guys had lots of fun. Tell me,,where are all the trees ? I'm just can't over there are only trees in the river and done where they should be. This is one part of the country I've never visited and just don't know. Looks like the new growth after an volcano eruption. Don't get me wrong,it's beautiful.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

GEJ wrote:Matt,

I post your fresh water plug question on a couple of RV sites I am apart of and if they answer I will let you know what they say.
Matt-I found this web site which might be of interest to you for more info:

http://www.gsowners.com/index.php

PM sent.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Great pics, Matt!
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Awesome pictures and great story to go with them.... Thanks for posting.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Matt:

Here is one of the answers I got off one of the RV web site for your fresh water drain.Hope this helps.

If you can not see a pipe drain through floor under coach you may have to crawl into a compartment near water tank and look for a valve off water tank. If its under bed may have to do same some what could be in back of tank near wall.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Sorry, I posted and then left town for a couple of days. (Maybe I'll post those pics later...)

Gary, thanks for helping with the water tank issue. My next step was going to be to move the rear mattress and pull up the plywood base as that is where the water tank should be (based on the fill valve). The plywood under the bed is screwed down, so they don't make access easy. On my initial inspection, I did find a hose underneath in that approximate location which I thought might be a drain, but I didn't find any valve with it. Both my beat up camper and tent trailer have very visible and accessable drains... I just figured a motorhome would be the same. I'll report back in a few days when I get to the bottom of this.

Rebel, I hear you regarding the landscape. WA and OR have it all. The west edge of both states are covered in trees and are actually rain forests in some locations. You will also find trees in most of the mountain areas. As you move east of the Cascade range though, you will find a very barren landscape, such as what we saw on our camping trip. I can find beauty in all of it, but I do much prefer the trees. Where I live in Selah is more the dry arid area... or would be if it wasn't for irrigation. (Lots of fruit trees in the Yakima Valley.) But the mountains and trees are less than 30 minutes away.

For everyone else, thanks for the positive comments!
Matt
Selah, WA

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Nice!
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

mdmead wrote:Gary, thanks for helping with the water tank issue. My next step was going to be to move the rear mattress and pull up the plywood base as that is where the water tank should be (based on the fill valve). The plywood under the bed is screwed down, so they don't make access easy. On my initial inspection, I did find a hose underneath in that approximate location which I thought might be a drain, but I didn't find any valve with it. Both my beat up camper and tent trailer have very visible and accessable drains... I just figured a motorhome would be the same. I'll report back in a few days when I get to the bottom of this.
A few days my ass! Like all of my projects, this one took a lot longer than I had originally planned.

Today I found the water drain valve. It turns out there is a small triangular hole in the bed platform in the back and when I shined a light down there, I could see something that looked like it might be a valve. It isn't easy to get at and has hoses and wires draped over the top of it making it that much more difficult to reach. Anyway, it turns out the valve just pulls straight up about a 1/2". The tank is now drained.

Just in time to fill it up again!

I'm headed out solo on Sunday to meet up with my wife and daughter who are down in Santa Barbara now. We'll meet up in northern CA at my sister-in-laws and then spend 7-10 days camping our way home.

In preparation for this trip i have:

Replaced the weather-cracked tires.

Invested a small fortune in a transmission flush, radiator flush with new hoses, synthetic oil change, new belts and other misc preventative stuff.

Installed mini-blinds for most of the windows to replace the tattered curtains.

Installed a 22" LCD TV and a have a portable DVD player too. (Evenings are reserved for playing games or watching movies.)

Installed a new Clarion AM/FM/CD player with an AUX input for an MP3 player and a USB port. (Hey, it had a cassette player in it for crying out loud and I need tunes as I head out across desolate central Oregon!)

Tomorrow I need to add some kind of platform to the rear bumper to haul our bikes. (Ryan's bike's frame is made so it can't fit on my receiver-mount bike rack.)

I also purchased a used tow dolly so we can bring a 'dingy' along. On this trip, I'm hauling the tow dolly down empty and we'll put Kathryn's van on the dolly on the way back. (Normally we'll haul our POS Focus wagon.) The dolly wasn't perfect. It needed new wheel straps and one of the winches is a bit bent up. One of the plastic fenders is cracked too. I've got the new straps to put on tomorrow and I'll tear the winch apart and straighten the bent pieces too.
Matt
Selah, WA

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

looks like all and all a great first trip..... I have a 86 25' yellowstone cavelier or cavelier yellowstone..... not sure nor really care.... I picked it up a couple years ago with a blown motor and later found out trans was bad too..... I wish my dad had been into RV's, or I had got interested in them earlier, when the kids were younger.... at 22 and 19, the last thing they want to do is spend time with us.....

did you use the awning much or have problems with the wind, I just installed a 15' one on mine, that I stripped from another RV...

and more importantly did you get to give all the systems a good test. water tanks, propane, generator, tv antenna or cable or did you just rough it and use it as a big hard rolling tent.

and did you do any prospecting while out there... looked like good gold prospecting site (but for the most part.... they all do right now, I'm getting in the mood again)

Glad you got out, maybe run into to you at a camp site some time.... for now, mines only been to southern Ohio and Virginia.
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)