Removing Window Trim

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
LastCat
I am smitten with my van

Removing Window Trim

Post by LastCat »

Hello,

I am in the process of painting my 93 AWD. I was wondering if anyone would have a few tips for removing the rear side window rubber trim, (the outside Trim around the Glass) see pic below.

I know I could tape around the trim, but I rather spend the time and remove the trim for a cleaner finish, to the paint job. No matter how hard you try, seems paint gets on the trim or it builds up around the edges. I rather remove it.

You guys have any tips? I was hoping just use a razor blade against the glass and try and cut the trim off, then after painting, just glue it back on, using fast set window sealer.

Is the trim a flat piece, or is it more of a "T" shape?

Thanks
Lastcat

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Removing Window Trim

Post by dunedog »

remove the window and trim......the tricks are in getting it back in.
See if someone at a local bodyshop will give you some insight.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Topic author
LastCat
I am smitten with my van

Post by LastCat »

dunedog wrote:remove the window and trim......the tricks are in getting it back in.
See if someone at a local bodyshop will give you some insight.
Oh thanks 8-[ . Now all I have to do is remove the window and trim. What about just the trim? Would you have a "How To"?

Don't really want to ask someone at a local body shop. Hoping someone here has BTDT. Anyone?

Bueller?.... Bueller?

LC

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

The trim is what holds the window in. It's a single molded piece of rubber.To remove it you HAVE to remove the window.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

The trim is what holds the window in. It's a single molded piece of rubber.To remove it you HAVE to remove the window.
This could be possible on later models but not the case with my 89. You can't remove the trim wihtout destroying it. Guess it would be possible to cut and glue back on. After you cut with razor, glass is glued in just as your windshield is and requires some time to remove enough adhesive to remove glass. I have removed several pieces of side glass to install flipouts and broke the glass every time I tried to get it out. Of course, I was in a hurry and had no plans to use the glass I was removing so it may be possible to get it out in one piece. To do this you'll probably need a steel wire pushed thorugh adhesive after removing outside surface of trim and then work that wire around glass edge seperating glass from adhesvie.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Logan
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Logan »

My window got busted and I went to a couple "you-pick-it" yards and was absolutely unable to get one out on my own. I ended up going to a "they pick it" yard and the guy actually went from the inside with a torch and melted the sealant from the inside out. The rubber actually us "U' shaped around the window edge. No damage to the rubber or the window. I'm sure there's an easier way though. Check with a Glass Company in your town.
1988 Astro Shorty full cargo - 350 TBI - 5 speed
1993 Passenger 4X4 Astro 305 TBI V8 -2 speed transfer case 5" custom lift - Built by Lockdoc
2015 Ram Promaster City - work car
2004 AWD Express 5.3
2005 Express 15 passenger 6.0
1984 Beauville Full Size Sport Van- built TBI 355-electric fans- 4L60e 95,000 original miles
2001 International School Bus

Topic author
LastCat
I am smitten with my van

Post by LastCat »

Thanks for the help, guys.

Lots of great info here. U shaped sounds about right. The torch and heat the sealant sounds like a great trick. It comes down to less hassle, by just leaving the window in, and I guess I am going to have to tape around the outside seal, and hope for the best.

Thanks again, I very much appreciate the help. :cheers:

Lastcat

Mr Singh
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mr Singh »

Might find myself in a similar position soon..

Though i can't get access to the inside of the glass as there is a huge stereo in place and theres no access to the back of the glass.

I simply need to pop the side windows out.. guessing its going to need new rubbers for sure then?
1997 2WD Chevy Astro