Suspension woes`

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
Mr Singh
I finally get the smurf thing

Suspension woes`

Post by Mr Singh »

Right, I have had enough of my squeeky squelchy sounding rear suspension.

My Astro weighs around 7500lbs. Suspension comprises of drop spindles and drop springs up front with Bilstein shocks. Rear is stock multi layer leafs with Bilstein shocks. Also I have an AirRide lift bag setup. I did have a flip kit on the rear but with the weight it couldn't cope and looked like crap with reverse rake.

Here is how she sits now -

I need firstly something to help handle the weight and make it much easier to drive. The bags with anymore than 30 psi makes it too bouncy and unpredictable. I'm wondering about a coilover setup to replace the original shock absorber?

Or, should I run a heavy duty leaf spring? Its just too bounce on the rear, the front is very smooth considering and I have no complaints.

Thanks,
Am
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Re: Suspension woes`

Post by rlsllc »

I'd take it to a spring shop and have them add 2 leaves right under the main leaf. If you're crafty, you could get a spare set and do it yourself as long as you can come up with all of the hardware. More weight, more leaves is my opinion. Won't bounce either as long as your shocks are good heavy duty units. As much as I like Bilsteins, I'd consider just running heavy duty gas shocks instead.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

I would look into a product called Timbren. I would purchase the 6000 lb version. I think you will be pleased with its performance over the airbags. Hope this helps. Jim

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Jim,

Is that there big bump stops?

It is clearly the case the stock leafs aren't coping. The squeeking squelnching noise gets worse and more and more iritating everytime I need to go to a show. Its very wallowee to drive and backend horrid, I cant go over 50mph its just too hard to control.

I would like to keep the current ride height it looks pretty good but i need to uprate the rear end to drive better and stop squeeking like its getting some leg over action in the bedroom lol.
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Yes, They are larger bump stops. The people at Timbren are very helpful and could discuss your application over the phone before your purchase. give them a call. Jim

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Sent them an e-mail.. I'm in the UK so might be a little easier.
1997 2WD Chevy Astro