Coolers & keeping the food safe out of danger zone :)

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Coolers & keeping the food safe out of danger zone :)

Post by phr1$k37 »

Thread update:

I ended up purchasing two white Igloo Marine 48Q coolers. I have been using them a lot recently for BBQs, chills and keeps drinks VERY chilled all day even with kidz opening and leaving the lid open. The ice cream I bought (for 80+ kidz and 15 adults) stayed chilled HARD all two days in mild 25C-28C temps.
I have used the cooler with minimal ice in it for a 3 day camp trip, returned home with ice left over. I am happy.

If you are looking for a bigger cooler head to Big 5 Sports for the 168Q Igloo for $59. I wanted to buy it but did not because it is better to separate foods to keep chilled longer / better.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Hey Abe,
Keep in mind during your trip to the island that there are bear and cougar here. Not the good kind of cougar, the bad kind of cougar, with teeth and claws.
Don't store your food where your camping. Hang it from a tree, or keep it far away from where you sleep. You may loose your food but you will still be able to eat.

Peter

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

I was not aware there were cougars without teeth and claws? #-o
Thanks for the reminder. I doubt my friends, brother and I will have fast reflexes with the pepper spray, axe and/ or whatever so the best thing is to remember to be smart and avoid these issues :p

Oh yah ... the Igloos are not bear proof.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"