Stiffest shock absorbers

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
Mr Singh
I finally get the smurf thing

Stiffest shock absorbers

Post by Mr Singh »

Guys,

who makes the biggest baddest, stiffest dampers for the rear end of a 97' Astro?

Thanks,
Am
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Stiffest shock absorbers

Post by astroturf »

Bilstein would be my guess.

Have you looked into the Timbrens yet?

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

I'm already running Bilsteins and there simpley not man enough to dampen the weight in the van. Obvious since there not valved for 4 times more weight than its meant to be carrying. Looks like I might need some custom ones.

The Timbrens will not solve the situation I feel. The way the van behaves tells me the damping is not adequate enough to control the ride. I have multi layer leafs and Air Ride bag kit. The sway i get from side to side and the constant bouncy bouncy ride points to the damping. The Timbrens bumpstops would cushion that effect not solve the underlining problem that exists.. damping/rebound.
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

check into these ... sounds like they might help: Roadmaster Active Suspension

http://www.activesuspension.com/

not sure if they still make a kit for our vans, if not, you may be able to call their customer support and see if there's a kit you can adapt to work
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Thanks for that e-mail on the way to them :)

http://www.woodys-auto-supply.com/auto- ... =MON-58598

These look good but there damper still isnt going to be valved for the weight?
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Perhaps...Have your local welder guy tack on a pair of additional shock mounts on the "other side" from the OEM mounts. ie, passenger side add a rear-of-axle mount, driver side add a front-of-axle mount. Then add whatever you like to increase the damp.

Rear shocks are simple and accessable. With an xtra set of mounts, you could experiment a lot, remove a pair when you're not hauling monster loads or when you want to sell the van.

FWIW, I have Rancho 9000s (adjustable) on my 89, front and rear. I generally keep them at either max or just one click below max damping. I don't haul anything heavy or tow. So it's not likely that the 9000s would help in your situation, at least not as the only pair of shocks.

Lump

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Bit of an update.

Come to find 1 of my air lift bags had a small hole in it, the air was leaking out slow. The other side was loosing 5psi a week from just sitting. Changed the leaking bag and it drives very nice now! no bounce its almost flat and much much more stable :bounce: I'm running 70psi and its pretty damn good! Remember i'm not using it for extra ride height but more for support. The bumpstops are 50mm clear from the chassis, before it was more like 40mm and without the air lift support you can imagine just how poo my ride was!!

I think a sway bar kit would also help reduce the slightly wollowee back end around bends, what do you think and which kit shall I got for?
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

A rear anti sway bar will make a huge difference. Do some research. Get the largest one available. I wouldn't recommend that for a normal daily driver but with the weight of your van it may be needed.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Go to Aldan Eagle site,,there you can take a look at their coil compression rate for different weights. What you'll be seeing is the weight to compress coil 2 in. and they can be adjusted. The Eagles are what I have on the Vette rear.
You can crank these up to where there is almost no compression and a smooth to very stiff ride.

http://www.aldaneagle.com/
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Rebel wrote:Go to Aldan Eagle site,,there you can take a look at their coil compression rate for different weights. What you'll be seeing is the weight to compress coil 2 in. and they can be adjusted. The Eagles are what I have on the Vette rear.
You can crank these up to where there is almost no compression and a smooth to very stiff ride.

http://www.aldaneagle.com/
Wow Those are pricey...

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

If you are running a air ride bag system get the on board air compressor system. You only need the basic system with one "channel" to fill both bags to the same level. I mounted mine behind a body panel on the drivers side rear and ran the cables and air line up to the front and mounted the gauge and switch by my right knee. That way you have a gauge and can see if you have lost any air. plus you can add air with the push of a button or drop the air if you are running empty. The other suggestion would be to put a "T" connector in your lines that run to the bags and then run the extra line up to the gas door and put a tire valve on it so you only need to open the gas door and can fill both bags at the same time and check the pressure with a tire gauge without having to crawl around the rear bumper.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

I put a Hellwig rear anti sway bar on, and it made a significant difference in cutting down body roll! :cheers:
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Thanks for the info.

Is it true some sway bar kits require drilling and others dont?
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The Hellwig kit require no drilling. I have bought and installed 2 kits.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Mr Singh wrote:Thanks for the info.

Is it true some sway bar kits require drilling and others dont?
Yes that is correct. My rear Belltech sway bar required drilling. The Hellwig bars are a better choice. The sway bar resides above the axle, a much neater installation. My Belltech bar works just fine, but hangs below the axle and looks a little kludged together in my opinion.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....