New addition to the Harper Family

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
Fire Cakes
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

New addition to the Harper Family

Post by Fire Cakes »

We got rid of my '05 Trail Blazer and picked up an '08 Nitro. Even thought it is an '08 it was never owned.
It is a dark blue even though it looks black in the service bay.

Gearing up for another great camping season :) Camper is re packed and ready to roll.

The 2012 camping season has begun!!!!!!!!
Camping Trip Count for 2011 - 2
Camping Nights Count for 2011 - 4

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: New addition to the Harper Family

Post by ihatemybike »

Is this why Dean can't afford an Astro? :poke:

Just so you all know 2.5" lift kits are available for your KA.

Where to b the lift.
http://jeepinbyal.com/cat-Dodge_Nitro_KA-37.aspx

LOST Jeeps post on the about KA.
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/vie ... hp?t=41758

Calling it a KA cause that's it's model designation. It was based on the KJ (2002-2007 Jeep Liberty). The KK (2008-Present Jeep Liberty) used a lot of the KA styling.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Geez, another Dodge/Jeep product?!

And anothe step away from the GM (Astro/Safari) family! #-o
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

hmmmmm have the Harpers been watching BET lately....

That's almost the colour i want my van but a bit darker
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
Fire Cakes
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Fire Cakes »

ihatemybike wrote:Is this why Dean can't afford an Astro? :poke:

Just so you all know 2.5" lift kits are available for your KA.

Where to b the lift.
http://jeepinbyal.com/cat-Dodge_Nitro_KA-37.aspx

LOST Jeeps post on the about KA.
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/vie ... hp?t=41758

Calling it a KA cause that's it's model designation. It was based on the KJ (2002-2007 Jeep Liberty). The KK (2008-Present Jeep Liberty) used a lot of the KA styling.
Actually I make the payments on this vehicle as I did on the Trail Blazer.

Great just what Dean needed to see...............LIFTS. :-#
Gearing up for another great camping season :) Camper is re packed and ready to roll.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The reason for getting away from GM is that since the M/L vans were discontinued, GM has NOT made a decent vehicle. The piece of crap excuse for a Trailblazer has had more work done to it than the SPB ever even thought about needing. I just got done sinking another $350 into a new water pump, electric clutch fan and a radiator. (The rad was my fault though) It only had 75,400 miles and needed these parts. It wouldn't have been too bad if I hadn't already replaced the following since the warranty ran out: both front hub bearings, secondary injection air valve, fuel tank filler neck and evap system purge line ass'y, an idler pulley, knock sensor and both outer tie rods. We also had the front diff worked on under warranty as well as normal repairs like rotors, pads, tires etc. It currently needed a lower ball joint, exhaust leak found and repaired, rear wiper, rotors again and pads soon plus it would have needed new tires this fall. In the spring and fall the SES light would come on and it needed another secondary air injection valve. There are way more guys at work with 2003+ GM's that are getting worked on more than the other brands so I have switched.

Hopefully the 3/36 bumper to bumper and lifetime powertrain warranty will still be good with the current bankruptcy status of Chrysler. GM is not far behind either. Dealmaker Dodge made us an offer we couldn't refuse. :D

Oh...no lift planned but I do know that current Liberty parts swap. :yawinkle:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

CONGRATS !!!!! on the new ride :supz: :supz: :supz:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Nitro's are cool. We would have considered one if they had been out when we bought the Murano. Look forward to your contiuned reviews on it, Lynne and Dean.

Looks sweet.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Thanks guys...hopefully the reviews are good ones! Only time and mileage will tell though.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Ooh yeah! Another payment!

Looks nice. I like the Nitros. A friend of mine just got an '07 for 10K. It's a nice ride.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

lockdoc wrote:Ooh yeah! Another payment!
Not another one...We still owed over 2 years of payments on the TB. This actually lowered her payment by about $30 a month.

About the only thing we own out right is the 92 Buick and Lynne's 98 Polaris Indy 500. :-s
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:The reason for getting away from GM is that since the M/L vans were discontinued, GM has NOT made a decent vehicle.
I have also noticed this. The Ford I am driving for work right now is upto 70567 Kms since it was purchased less than a year ago. Has been beated and abused. Towed A class loads and does some plow work. Yet it has only been in for repairs 3 times. 1 was recall , 1 was bent track bar, 1 was brakes. Yet I've been seeing and hearing of ALOT of GM owners sending in their trucks 10 times as much. My uncles 03 Blazer has been in a dozen times in as many months all for stupid repairs. My GFs dads 07 Silverado keeps having major drive line issues that it should not be having.

The even crappier part to me a die hard GM fan boy is the fact the ford I'm driving has better interior and exterior styling. The interior looks like it came straight out of a high end german car and not in the coloration / design only but also the build quality. It has 0 gaps everything fits tight and feels tight and solid not full of gaps and feels flimsy like alot of the GMs I have been looking at as of late ( Chrysler up until recently was also horrible for this).The exterior is just sexier than the current line of GM trucks. It's sad but it's true.

Congrats on the purchase Lynne, I hate to say it but it is definitely a smart one.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

robertg
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by robertg »

one of leigh anne's cousins has one of those. i think they're neat.

congrats on the purchase!
2000 Astro 4.3 A4- b&m transcooler/autometer trans temp gauge. 171k miles
1995 Astro 4.3 A4- generic flowmaster muffler. 239k miles

Southern
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Southern »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:The reason for getting away from GM is that since the M/L vans were discontinued, GM has NOT made a decent vehicle. The piece of crap excuse for a Trailblazer has had more work done to it than the SPB ever even thought about needing. I just got done sinking another $350 into a new water pump, electric clutch fan and a radiator. (The rad was my fault though) It only had 75,400 miles and needed these parts. It wouldn't have been too bad if I hadn't already replaced the following since the warranty ran out: both front hub bearings, secondary injection air valve, fuel tank filler neck and evap system purge line ass'y, an idler pulley, knock sensor and both outer tie rods. We also had the front diff worked on under warranty as well as normal repairs like rotors, pads, tires etc. It currently needed a lower ball joint, exhaust leak found and repaired, rear wiper, rotors again and pads soon plus it would have needed new tires this fall. In the spring and fall the SES light would come on and it needed another secondary air injection valve. There are way more guys at work with 2003+ GM's that are getting worked on more than the other brands so I have switched.

Hopefully the 3/36 bumper to bumper and lifetime powertrain warranty will still be good with the current bankruptcy status of Chrysler. GM is not far behind either. Dealmaker Dodge made us an offer we couldn't refuse. :D

Congrats on your new Dodge, looks sharp!. If gas mileage wasn't an issue you would have had better luck with the Trailblazer SS. I keep telling my son that I will do an engine swap with his Trailblazer SS and my Astro when he isn't looking.
92 Astro Conversion Van 2WD
Vin Z Engine
Eaton Posi

Topic author
Fire Cakes
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Fire Cakes »

Southern wrote:
LiftedAWDAstro wrote:The reason for getting away from GM is that since the M/L vans were discontinued, GM has NOT made a decent vehicle. The piece of crap excuse for a Trailblazer has had more work done to it than the SPB ever even thought about needing. I just got done sinking another $350 into a new water pump, electric clutch fan and a radiator. (The rad was my fault though) It only had 75,400 miles and needed these parts. It wouldn't have been too bad if I hadn't already replaced the following since the warranty ran out: both front hub bearings, secondary injection air valve, fuel tank filler neck and evap system purge line ass'y, an idler pulley, knock sensor and both outer tie rods. We also had the front diff worked on under warranty as well as normal repairs like rotors, pads, tires etc. It currently needed a lower ball joint, exhaust leak found and repaired, rear wiper, rotors again and pads soon plus it would have needed new tires this fall. In the spring and fall the SES light would come on and it needed another secondary air injection valve. There are way more guys at work with 2003+ GM's that are getting worked on more than the other brands so I have switched.

Congrats on your new Dodge, looks sharp!. If gas mileage wasn't an issue you would have had better luck with the Trailblazer SS. I keep telling my son that I will do an engine swap with his Trailblazer SS and my Astro when he isn't looking.
Gas mileage was NOT the issue at all with the TB. As a matter of fact the Nitro gets the same mileage. It was all the repairs that we had to do and the ones that we didn't do yet that were on the outs that caused us to decide to trade.