Transmission Cooler

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Transmission Cooler

Post by MountainManJoe »

I have a 2000 and I also have this A/C line running in front of my rad, but I think a cooler could still fit in front of it.
hotpaws wrote: Image
Last edited by MountainManJoe on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

that's where mine is not the prettiest but works
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

For anyone on the West coast, Canada. North Shore Offroad sells the Tru-Cool LPD 4950 for $110 on special order.
http://nsor.com/

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

timelessbeing wrote:I have a 2000 and I also have this A/C line running in front of my rad, but I think a cooler could still fit in front of it.
I installed my Long Tru-Cool LPD 4590 over the weekend. The mounting part was super easy using the supplied hardware. The A/C line presented no problem at all. There is plenty of room between the rad and the grill, and when I was done I still had almost an inch gap between the cooler and the A/C line.

Plumbing was NOT super easy. I connected the cooler into the LOWER port on the radiator (hope that was the right one). Getting to it was a real pain in the :butthead: . Thanks to my 2" body lift, I had a 2" gap to work with through the wheel well. Without the body spacers the job seems even worse. You'd have to go through the engine bay, remove a bunch of stuff, and yank out the lower rad hose because it's right underneath it.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

timelessbeing wrote:I connected the cooler into the LOWER port on the radiator (hope that was the right one).
Actually you wanted the top one. That is the line going back to the tranny. Although just adding the cooler is a MAJOR upgrade.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I wish someone had mentioned that when I asked a month ago. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6356&p=64795#p64795

Are you sure? When I touched the two lines, the top one seemed hotter. Makes sense for the return line to be at the bottom of the radiator where it is the coolest.
tran.JPG

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

I originally had mine on the bottom connector, but then changed it to the top. correct or no? My understanding is you want it after the radiator, before reentering the trans.

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

timelessbeing wrote:I wish someone had mentioned that when I asked a month ago. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6356&p=64795#p64795

Are you sure? When I touched the two lines, the top one seemed hotter. Makes sense for the return line to be at the bottom of the radiator where it is the coolest.
tran.JPG
According to this pic, it should be on the bottom connect meaning mine is incorrect.

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

Wrong is up to the installer if you want it to cool the fluid before it enters the rad the bottom connector is correct if you want it to cool the fluid before it enters the transmission the upper connector is correct.

What was that picture for it says service but is it draining the transmission?
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

LaGrasta wrote:My understanding is you want it after the radiator, before reentering the trans.
That is correct. The instructions say to add it downstream from the radiator.
Cobra wrote:What was that picture for it says service but is it draining the transmission?
The diagram is from ihatemybike's service manual for flushing the transmission fluid.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

My concern would be in cooling the ATF too much. I will install mine before the Radiator.

What kind of pressure drops are these coolers producing?

Thanks, Jim

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

astroturf wrote:My concern would be in cooling the ATF too much
The Tru-Cool's are self regulating. Cool, viscous fluid flows through the larger openings, bypassing the cooling plates.
astroturf wrote:What kind of pressure drops are these coolers producing?
I don't have any exact number, but considering LPD stands for Low Pressure Drop, I'm not too worried.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

astroturf wrote:My concern would be in cooling the ATF too much. I will install mine before the Radiator.
I have to confess, 'Turf. I thought you were being paranoid, but your concern is legit.

I installed a transmission oil cooler at the same time as I serviced my transmission pan (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6356).

Long Tru-cool LPD 4590
dimensions: 11" x 4" x 3/4
Cooling capacity: 24,000 BTU
Price: $100 CAD @ North Shore Offroad (nsor.com)

It's a stacked plate cooler, which is a lot more robust, and more efficient than tube and fin designs.

As described on the box, it has channels that allow cold oil to bypass the cooler, which helps it reach operating temperature quicker.

The kit comes with everything you need. I don't recommend using the plastic straps. The supplied metal brackets, bolts, and sheet metal screw make the job very simple. I'm not sure what the big C-shaped brackets are for.

Unfortunately it was getting cold and dark, so I didn't take photos, but mounting the cooler was very straightforward. To remove the grill, you need to take out the philips screws which are hidden behind the the small corner lights. I roughly centered the cooler in the passenger side body opening and marked my bracket holes. I drilled 1/8" (?) holes to put the sheet metal screws through, then bolted up the cooler. The rear face of the cooler was flush with the front of the van body, which left me a nice 1" gap in front of the radiator. The column in the middle of the radiator protrudes a bit, so I bent the cooler bracket on that side into a 'Z' shape.

There's a convenient hole that you run your hoses through to back of the radiator. As I mentioned previously, I plumbed the cooler into the LOWER port on the radiator, which wasn't fun. I guessed this was the radiator outlet based on the temperature of the line between it and the transmission, however my reasoning has been cast in doubt. That means the oil MAY be warming up in the radiator first before returning to the 4L60E.

RESULTS

Using my Scanguage II to read the factory oil temperature sensor in the transmission pan...

Before:
Mild day, approx. 15℃
Cruising 1hr on a mostly flat highway @ approx. 100km/h
ATF temp hovers around 100℃

After:
Winter approx. 5℃
I decided to really put the cooler to the test while driving on the Sea-to-Sky highway #99 from Vancouver to Pemberton. Those familiar with it know that it is a challenging, rolling stretch of highway with some very steep grades. I FLOORED the gas pedal on the uphills and pushed the van very hard for a good 40mins. Try as I might, I could barely get the ATF temperature over 60℃. That's a whopping difference of 40℃. I don't think I'll be having overheating issues any more! In fact, I'm a bit concerned about the viscosity of the tranny oil. Based on the research I've done, optimal operating temperature for the transmission is 70-90℃. We all know starting your vehicle cold puts more wear and tear on the engine, because the oil hasn't warmed up yet, and it's too thick to lubricate moving parts properly.

So there you have it. Food for thought.
I'll check the direction of the transmission oil flow in the Spring when it actually matters, and my fingers don't fall off. [-o<
Last edited by MountainManJoe on Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

wkastro
I get chills without my van.

Post by wkastro »

My Trucool (same model & kit as timelessbeing's) went in a year ago, after the radiator loop, per Trucool's recommendation. Lightly loaded on the highway, the factory trans temp through a Scangage II is about 70-75 deg F over ambient. I haven't towed anything in over a year. The Trucool stacked plate cooler is a beautiful piece.
2003 Astro AWD bought in January 2009
103,000 miles, Trucool 4590, ScanGageII, Michelin LTX 215/70R16, Tekonsha P3

2009 Chevrolet HHR
2001 HD XL1200S
1970 Austin Cooper 'S'

Retired:
1994 Astro AWD (sold in 1996, 50,000 miles in 2 years)
1992 Astro RWD (bought from GM fleet, traded for AWD in 1994)