156K Front Brake Rebuild – PARTS?

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

156K Front Brake Rebuild – PARTS?

Post by LaGrasta »

I'm beginning to get a shudder from the front end when the brakes are applied. I suspect the disc are slightly warped. These disc, never turned, have over 100K on them, impressive, huh?

1) Any recommendations on what parts I should replace with this many miles when rebuilding the front brakes?

2) Also, I can't remember how the wheel bearings are structured, are they included on the new disc?

3) I'm still torn on whether I should rebuild with the larger truck calipers/pads as I sometimes hear not worth the trouble. Plus, my calipers still seem fine (originals).

Thoughts? Thanks guys!
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Topic author
LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Re: 156K Front Brake Rebuild – PARTS?

Post by LaGrasta »

I don't notice any front end steering problems, but I should mention it's never been rebuilt, all parts are original.

1) Can I get away without rebuilding these parts just yet since there are no signs of anything failing?

2) Additional parts needed (additional approximate cost)?

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

If it's two wheel drive, the bearings should be separate from the rotor. A quick check on rockauto.com appears to confirm this.
I'd replace or rebuild the calipers. To rebuild, you'll need a special tool to seat the seals or you'll need to kludge something together to seat the seals. Rebuilt calipers are not too expensive though. I've done it both ways. Now I just buy rebuilts.
Check the caliper bolts to make sure they are in good shape and straight. They take a lot of abuse.
One thing I definitely do not know about your 98 is the bleeding procedure for the brake lines with respect to your ABS system. Someone here knows though.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Thanks for the response. I've flushed the system a number of times with no problems.

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I would just stick to the brakes and save the steering/suspension rebuild for another project. Brakes are easy and shouldn't take too long even if you decide to rebuild the calipers yourself.

Are you buying new rotors or are you going to have yours machined? Baum's Auto Supply near Marguerite and La Paz can turn them for you.

If you decide to rebuild the calipers, I have a tool to seat the seals. Not a real tool, just something I pieced together when I did mine.

But, the only reason I rebuilt mine s because one of the pistons was sticking. If yours are moving freely I'd just clean the sliding pins and put it together with some fresh lube.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

I would have the rotors turned on the vehicle... http://www.procutinternational.com/ And replace the Pads.

Just my two cents. Jim

Topic author
LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

I love Baum's Auto Supply! Over the years I've become and anti rotor turner. After turning them, they always seem to need turned again and soon. My theory is the lost of material allows them to heat and warp even faster than before. With over 100k on these rotors, I'll just replace them with the pads. The calipers (156k) are fine, but again with so many miles I thought maybe I'd swap to the bigger truck set-up. I appreciate the offer of using your special tool. (That sounded really weird 8-[ )

Sounds like you guys lean on the practical side, fix what's broke and nothing more. Any thoughts at all on the larger truck set-up?

Big Brake Info:
Chevrolet Astro Big Brake Upgrade

Front calipers: Cardone rebuilds. Part numbers: 184122 & 184123.
These calipers are used on about a dozen different Chevrolet trucks, years 79 - 86.

Front disc pads: Wagner. Part number: SX 153
Brake hoses and rotors will still be the stock hoses for your application.

Rear brakes: Junk yard
Backing plates and all related hardware from the mid 90's full size cars. Not all full size cars have the 11x2 brakes so take a tape measure. A couple of cars to look at would be the Chev Caprice sedan and station wagon. Police and taxi versions and Buick Roadmasters. You might even go back to the 80's and look at the big Oldsmobiles.

Rear brake shoes: Wagner. Part number: PAB 462.

Rear wheel cylinders: Wagner. Part number: 51088.
The wheel cylinders have an option of using either 7/8" or 1". It depends on how much weight you cary in your van. The part number for the 1" cylinders is: 51088. Both sides are the same.

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

New rotors, new truck calipers, new truck disc pads, clean and repack wheel bearings, new hub seals. DONE. If the steering and suspension are fine don't touch them.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: 156K Front Brake Rebuild  PARTS?

Post by astroturf »

If it ain't broke don't fix it?
Then why do you suggest replacing the Factory Engineered Brake Components with others from a different vehicle?

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

It's an upgrade the factory engineers didn't think of. A brake upgrade is a good thing. He's going to replace those items anyway so why not improve the system?
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: 156K Front Brake Rebuild  PARTS?

Post by astroturf »

Good Point.
What will his measurable improvements be?
Thanks, Jim

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

greater surface area on the pads.
Larger apply area from the piston I'm guessing.
after 156K, I'd be highly surprised if the seals and dust boots on the caliper pistons were in any kind of decent shape.
Regardless, you definitely got your money's worth out of 'em.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Smiliesafari wrote:New rotors, new truck calipers, new truck disc pads, clean and repack wheel bearings, new hub seals. DONE. If the steering and suspension are fine don't touch them.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
I like this approach. I think I'll go for it. I found the calipers on ebay for $20, shipped! Cardones too!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123

Thanks for the advice.

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Make sure you get a new set of sliders as those E-bay ones don't include them. If yours are clean you can just re-use them.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

LaGrasta wrote:I love Baum's Auto Supply! Over the years I've become and anti rotor turner. After turning them, they always seem to need turned again and soon. My theory is the lost of material allows them to heat and warp even faster than before. With over 100k on these rotors, I'll just replace them with the pads. The calipers (156k) are fine, but again with so many miles I thought maybe I'd swap to the bigger truck set-up. I appreciate the offer of using your special tool. (That sounded really weird 8-[ )

Sounds like you guys lean on the practical side, fix what's broke and nothing more. Any thoughts at all on the larger truck set-up?

Big Brake Info:
Chevrolet Astro Big Brake Upgrade

Front calipers: Cardone rebuilds. Part numbers: 184122 & 184123.
These calipers are used on about a dozen different Chevrolet trucks, years 79 - 86.

Front disc pads: Wagner. Part number: SX 153
Brake hoses and rotors will still be the stock hoses for your application.

Rear brakes: Junk yard
Backing plates and all related hardware from the mid 90's full size cars. Not all full size cars have the 11x2 brakes so take a tape measure. A couple of cars to look at would be the Chev Caprice sedan and station wagon. Police and taxi versions and Buick Roadmasters. You might even go back to the 80's and look at the big Oldsmobiles.

Rear brake shoes: Wagner. Part number: PAB 462.

Rear wheel cylinders: Wagner. Part number: 51088.
The wheel cylinders have an option of using either 7/8" or 1". It depends on how much weight you cary in your van. The part number for the 1" cylinders is: 51088. Both sides are the same.
Hey LaGrasta, Could you keep us posted as to the cost and details of this upgrade? Thanks, Jim