Removing decals

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
willisworms
I get chills without my van.

Removing decals

Post by willisworms »

Has anyone removed the black decals from around the windows? I like the look of the 3 separate windows on the newer vans, but would be worried of peeling the paint. I would us a heat gun and do it on a warm day to increase my success rate. Any thoughts?

Dan

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Re: Removing decals

Post by Kabey's Van »

Not too sure what decals your talking about. If it is the black paint around the windows that make it appear as though it is one big window down the side, that's paint, not a decal.

Peter

Topic author
willisworms

Post by willisworms »

I had to go back out and look. My van is a 99 and the black in between the windows is a decal for sure. You can clearly see the overlap and crooked edges of the decal

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

It's paint on my '91. I know that cause it's peeling off like the rest of the paint on the van. :-k

Peter

Topic author
willisworms

Post by willisworms »

we all love pics
Attachments
decal2.jpg
decal2.jpg (2.8 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
decal 1.jpg
decal 1.jpg (2.37 KiB) Viewed 3218 times

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

A heat gun does work best, but you'll have to wait for that Okanagan sunshine. :muhaha:

Great A'Tuin
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Great A'Tuin »

There is a tool specially made for removing decals and stickers. It's a pad that attaches to a drill and simply removes the material w/out damaging the paint. You can get them at any NAPA or a shop that specializes in auto body and paint work.
I removed the entire decal set from a "Farmer Bros." coffee truck once w/ one of these...

john
john

2000 LS AWD
2.5" lift, 3.73 G80, Bilsteins, 235/75-15 Toyo A/T's, 2500 Brakes, Skid plate
Ultra-Gauge, Long/Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Electric fans, Bed Kit. 265,000 miles.

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

not entirely sure when they changed, probably around 95 or 96, but yes the newer vans are for sure vinyl as opposed to the old painted ones. i re-did the vinyl on mine years back. used a heat gun to remove it the paint was fine underneath but it would probably depend on the climate you live in. i personally cant stand the way the new ones without the "solid window" look, nor do i understand why they chose to eliminate the body cladding on the rear doors in the final years.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

chevymaher

Post by chevymaher »

GnarliSafari wrote:not entirely sure when they changed, probably around 95 or 96, but yes the newer vans are for sure vinyl as opposed to the old painted ones. i re-did the vinyl on mine years back. used a heat gun to remove it the paint was fine underneath but it would probably depend on the climate you live in. i personally cant stand the way the new ones without the "solid window" look, nor do i understand why they chose to eliminate the body cladding on the rear doors in the final years.
No real clue about this but my 94 still painted
Image90 astro parts van gone.94 safari SLE.68 chevelle SS clone.