Grooved / Power Slotted Brembo / PBR rotors $$$$

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: Grooved / Power Slotted Brembo / PBR rotors $$$$

Post by Rebel »

I'll have to look up the break in time but basicly, don't over heat, slow gentle stops, let warm and cool, not a lot of stop and go brake application for a few days of driving an be sure to torque lug nuts to specs. for your van.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Rebel wrote:I'll have to look up the break in time but basicly, don't over heat, slow gentle stops, let warm and cool, not a lot of stop and go brake application for a few days of driving an be sure to torque lug nuts to specs. for your van.

Oh! So like a driving style!? That is cool I do that all the time with new brakes to break (break and brake lol) them in as to not damage / warp / SMELL them. :)

What I do not do is torque to spec ... I just wrench on it >.< and before I go off-road or long trips I take the bar out and manual tighten to make sure all is good. Dont need a live crocodile on the road!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

phr1$k37 wrote:What I do not do is torque to spec ... I just wrench on it >.< and before I go off-road or long trips I take the bar out and manual tighten to make sure all is good.
This procedure is the absolute worst thing for disc brakes! I ALWAYS torque my (lug)nuts. :muhaha: Once torqued, I have never had a lug nut come loose. If you torque them properly, you will get a LOT of miles on even a cheap set of rotors.

I bought a set of 4 rotors for Lynne's TrailBlazer from R1concepts on E-bay. I replaced them around 4,000 miles ago and they are smooth as silk. The quality is very comparable to anything I can get from NAPA. I did 4 rotors for under $160 shipped!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote: This procedure is the absolute worst thing for disc brakes! I ALWAYS torque my (lug)nuts. :muhaha: Once torqued, I have never had a lug nut come loose. If you torque them properly, you will get a LOT of miles on even a cheap set of rotors.

Well maybe I am just a freak who is worried that my tire might come off later ... :dunce: I am already in the bad books with insurance company for accidents no need to add a personal statement to the book haha.

$160 for 4 rotors shipped is very good. But not to tease you I am fortunate to get Brembo rotors for my ride at $35 each :) Cheaper than the PBR which I have used in the pass which is great.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Dean and I weren't thinking about your wheel falling off. We were trying to say, torque lug nuts to correct specs and this will reduce the chances of warping your new rotors by uneven or incorrect torque.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Rebel wrote:Dean and I weren't thinking about your wheel falling off. We were trying to say, torque lug nuts to correct specs and this will reduce the chances of warping your new rotors by uneven or incorrect torque.

#-o time to look in that Haynes manual for the numbers. Very good point you two - thank you!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Larry is 100% on the money! :D 100 foot pounds is the spec. Do them in a criss-cross pattern too.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Thanks you guys for posting.
The Brembo rotors + new 2500HD calipers + raybeatos ceramics pabs are in. Bleeded and WOW! Woot! I am happy.

FYI for readers:
If doing the caliper upgrade (3/4 ton) please check if you are to use the light-duty or heavy duty series. Petey (awesome guy - thanks for the PMs!) used the light-duty calipers. Apparently when I went to buy my calipers with my old ones mine where the 3/4 ton light duty already! So I sized up the heavy duty 3/4ton from a 97 Chevy 2500HD and it looked good. It is in and no problems. Brakes nice and strong!